Chippers & Stumpers (5)
Chippers and stumpers are rugged machines designed for chopping brush, tree limbs or trunks into smaller pieces for use as mulch or compost. With a variety of diameters and accessories, brush chippers and stumpers are handy for projects of any size. Whether you run a commercial operation or need to clean up your backyard, United Rentals has walk-behind, gas-powered wood chippers for smaller jobs and towable chippers for large jobs. To find the prices for stumper and chipper rentals, enter your location to see prices and availability near you.
- What's the difference between a chipper and a shredder?
- A chipper — also known as a mulcher, brush chipper or wood chipper — is typically used to break up brush or branches from trees into manageable chunks for mulch. A shredder breaks up leaves and brush for composting or recycling purposes. Stumpers remove and break up large tree branches and stumps
- What should I look for in a wood chipper?
- The materials you are breaking up and the size of the job are the primary considerations when choosing equipment. A gas-powered or towable chipper is for heavy-duty jobs, such as large branches. Stumpers are also heavy-duty equipment, but they are used for tree stumps with large diameters. For smaller jobs like clearing small branches and leaves, an electric chipper or shredder would be enough.
- How big of a wood chipper do I need?
- Before choosing a chipper or stumper, you should have an idea of the diameter of the largest branches or brush you need to break up at one time. United Rentals carries 6" to 12" diameter chippers for a wide range of chipping jobs. For large contractor clearing jobs, a towable chipper is heavy-duty enough.