United Rentals offers different types of concrete mixers and mortar mixers. If you are laying concrete, brick, grout or plaster, we have gas or electric mixers. For heavy-duty jobs across a large site, we offer towable concrete mixers.
We have small concrete mixers for DIY jobs and large mixers for commercial uses. Our concrete mixers are drum mixers: the drum rotates on a horizontal axis and the fins inside tumble the mix into itself until the water, aggregate and concrete are mixed together.
Mortar mixers will mix mortar - also known as grout, stucco or plaster. These mixers do not rotate. Instead, a mounted core with paddles rotates inside, scraping the sides of the barrel and mixing the mortar together.
- How many bags of concrete can a mixer hold?
- It depends on the specifications of the mixer. Our concrete mixers can hold a range of concrete. The smallest concrete mixer can hold 1/2 bag of concrete. A 6 cu. ft. mixer can hold 1/2 to 1 bag, and our largest 9 cu. ft. mixer can hold 1-1/2 to 2 bags.
- Mortar mixers can hold a little more mix. Our 6 cu. ft. mortar mixer can hold 1-1/2 to 2 bags, and our 9 cu. ft. mortar mixer can hold 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 bags.
- Can I mix concrete in a mortar mixer?
- Both mortar mixers and concrete mixes will use bags of concrete. The difference is that mortar contains a smooth aggregate like sand and concrete mixes have larger aggregate like gravel. Mortar mixers are specifically designed for mixes that have smooth aggregate. Gravel aggregate used in concrete can damage most blades inside a mortar mixer. We offer concrete mixers that can handle this tougher aggregate to create a good concrete mix.
- Can I mix a yard of concrete with a mixer?
- You can mix a cubic yard of concrete in multiple batches with our mixers. It depends on how thick your slab will be, but a cubic yard of concrete can cover 81 cu. ft. if it is 4 in. thick. This will take more than 9 bags of concrete, and our mixers can only hold up to 3 1/2 bags at a time. However, we offer concrete buckets that can store a yard's worth of concrete while you mix more.
- How do I mix concrete in a mixer?
- Calculate the amount of concrete bags you will need for your job. Some concrete bags are sold pre-mixed with aggregate, so all you need to do is add water. This may be the best route for beginners. Empty the bag of concrete into the concrete mixer and spray it down with a little water to keep down the dust. Turn on the mixer and slowly add water from a hose or bucket; as it is turning, slowly add more water until it is the correct consistency. The concrete should be wet enough that when you grab a handful it will stay together and not clump apart, but it should not be runny either. United Rentals offers training on all their equipment.