United Rentals offers a fleet of mini-excavators for your various jobs' needs. This equipment has the compact size of a backhoe but the heavy-duty tracks and 360-degree swing of an excavator. These compact excavators are ideal for loading, dumping or trenching on a muddy, narrow jobsite.
Our mini-excavators range in sizes. Our smallest 3,000-lbs. machine is ideal for jobsites with weight restrictions, and our largest 18,000-lbs. compact excavator can dig swimming pools, utility trenches and more.
- How much does a mini-excavator weigh?
- We have divided our fleet of mini excavators by weight. Our smallest compact excavator has an operating weight of 3,000 lbs. and our largest has an operating weight of 18,000 lbs. By comparison, our smallest standard size excavator weighs 44,000 lbs.
- What can a mini excavator do?
- A mini excavator can do most of what other earthmoving equipment can do. It has a boom, stick, and bucket for trenching, loading, and dumping soils. It is different from other loading equipment, like a backhoe, because it has tracks instead of wheels, making it more productive in wet conditions. We also offer attachments such as breakers or hammers, augers and different sizes of buckets.
- How wide is a mini excavator?
- Width depends on the model of mini excavator. Smaller compact excavators start at 3' wide, and larger models can be about 7' wide. This does not include the articulating arm as it is swinging. Measure your jobsite and ensure you will have enough space for a mini excavator to move around comfortably and safely.
- Can a mini excavator remove tree stumps?
- Operators have used mini excavators for all sorts of landscaping and clearing jobs, including stump removal. Before you choose a mini excavator, you'll have to consider how large and tough the tree is and how deep the roots go. You want to choose a compact excavator that has the power and lift to remove the stump without damaging the equipment. United Rentals also offers thumb attachments for our mini excavators that can assist in stump removal.